With Monday January 8th being the BCS National Championship Game, I decided to make a list of my top ten favorite Buckeyes. Some of them went on to have great NFL careers, while others were only good in their college days. Ohio State has a rich history and it is thanks to Head Coaches named Hayes,Cooper and Tressel even if some of them were never able to beat the Wolverines from Michigan. Well here goes the countdown:
10. Antoine Winfield-CB: Was a solid defensive back with Nate Clements and Ahmed Plummer.
9. Andy Katzenmoyer-LB: "The Big Kat" never panned out in the NFL but was one of a long line of great Ohio State Linebackers.
8. Joey Galloway & Terry Glenn-WR: These speedsters did wonderful in college, especially if you consider that they didn't have such good Quarterbacks throwing the ball to them.
7. Nick Mangold-C: The anchor of the Buckeyes' O-line is now anchoring for the New York Jets.
6. Pepper Johnson-LB: The NY Giants got Pepper in the 2nd round of the 1986 draft. He won Super Bowls with the Giants and was a major reason why the Cleveland Browns made the playoffs in 1994.
5. Robert Smith-RB: His NFL career was cut short due to injury but was a good player and a great teammate.
4. Troy Smith-QB: With his 3-o record against Michigan and a Heisman Trophy to his credit, all he needs is a win Monday Night against Florida, and he'll be moving up this list.
3. Eddie George-RB: Another one of Ohio State's Heisman winners, had a great pro career with the Oilers/Titans.
2. Chris Spielman-LB: Spielman was recently on the Mike & Mike radio show and said, "if not for Ohio players Michigan would be Iowa." 'nuff said.
1. A.J. Hawk-LB: The team's defensive leader, has passed the torch on to James Laurinaitis as the next great OSU linebacker.
Other players receiving votes: Lou Groza; Tom Tupa; Bobby Carpenter; Orlando Pace; Keith Byars; Jeff Davidson; Mike Vrabel; David Boston; Shawn Springs; Archie Griffin; Mike Nugent.
So hope you enjoyed the list and that you will enjoy the game which airs Monday Night at 8:15 on FOX.